Back to School Backpacks
for children in need at HES & children in DCF care- please consider donating any of these items:
high quality brand new backpacks & basic school supplies: 3 ring binders, paper, spiral notebooks, pens, pencils, markers, folders, erasers, crayons, pencil boxes, etc. (No Trappers/Keepers) (due by Aug 4th for blessing in worship)
Church World Service School Kits
(You are invited to donate any portion of the School kit)
-One pair of blunt scissors removed from the package (rounded tip, only)
-Three 70-count bound notebooks or notebooks totaling 200-210 pages (no loose-leaf or filler paper)
-One 30-centimeter / 12” ruler
-One hand-held pencil sharpener removed from the package
-One large eraser (no pencil cap erasers)
-Six new, unsharpened pencils with erasers removed from the package
-One box of 24 crayons (only 24)
-One 12”x14” to 14”x17” finished size cotton or lightweight canvas bag (solid color or kid-friendly fabric) with cloth handles (no reusable shopping bags, backpacks, or bags with logos) (from the CWS website http://www.cwsglobal.org/resources/pdfs/school-bag-pattern.pdf)
SCHOOL BAG PATTERN
MATERIALS NEEDED: 1/2 yd of “child-friendly” fabric
MAKE THE BAG:
Cut two pieces of fabric 13” X 17”
- Place the two pieces together, right sides together, and sew a 1/2” seam down one side, across the bottom, and up the other side, leaving the top open.
- Turn the bag so the seam is in the inside.
- Turn under 1/2” on the top edge and press.
- Turn under 2” at the top edge to form a hem and stitch. MAKE THE HANDLES:
- Cut two pieces of fabric 4” X 22”
- Fold in half one of the 4” X 22” pieces with right sides Stitch with a 1/2” seam allowance and turn inside out, or turn under and press 1⁄2” on long side of fabric. Fold wrong sides together. Top stitch close to edge. Press.
- Repeat for the second handle. Press.
- Turn under raw edges and stitch to the top of the bag. Finished bag will be approximately 12” X 14”. Place CWS School Kit items in bag.
- CWS • P.O. Box 968 • Elkhart, IN 46515 • 800-297-1516 For the nearest CWS Regional Office, please call 888-297-2767.